Author: Michael Maxstead
Everyone using the internet should be conscious about the threats to their computer security. While computers have indeed become extremely useful in a lot of ways, they have become very prone to a lot of pitfalls too. In this article, we will talk about some problems you can encounter by using the technology.
The most common dangers that come with the use of computer and the internet are various kinds of malicious software infections or what we call "malware." Malware can compromise the security of your computer system and the scarier thing is that they can operate in the background without you knowing it!
Some of the most known malicious software forms are the following:
1. Backdoor - From the term itself, you can gather that a backdoor is a passage into your computer, which allows the bypassing of the normal authentication procedures. A backdoor lets hackers to utilize your computer for whatever reason they can think of.
2. Adbots - Adbots are another threat to your computer security. They are utilized to deliver advertisements-- including unwanted ones-- to your computer. They typically come in the form of pop ups. While they are not always harmful, their appearance means that your computer is likely to be infected by other malware.
3. Downloader - a downloader is a kind of malware used by someone else to download files from your own computer to theirs. For instance, they may want files that have extensions common to database files, spreadsheets, income tax files, etc.
4. Hijacker - A hijacker is a malware, which controls different parts of your web browser such as search pages, search bar, and even your home page. It can redirect you to particular sites, too, especially when you mistype an address.
5. Trojans - Trojans are backdoors used by hackers to get information from your computer or perhaps use it as their tool for malicious activities like spamming, hacking someone else's system, or even running an internet extortion scheme through your computer! What a bummer if you fall an innocent accomplice to these, right?
6. Dialers - If you're still using a dial-up connection, a dialer infection is something you must be wary about. It's when your computer modem dials the network on its own as it's thinking independently. Apart from connecting you automatically to various sites, it can also automatically download a lot of malware forms into your computer. Next thing you know, your system is already corrupted by various malicious software.
7. Spyware - From the word itself, this malware is a spy software. It can gather information about you and the files on your system. It can only not take note of the sites you visit but also the personal information you use in them. Hence, it can lead to identity theft.
8. Worms - Worms usually come with email attachments. They can be utilized by Trojans to send out spam or open doorways into your computer.
These are the most popular threats to computer security. Learning about them is very important so you can be more cautious and know how to protect your computer from them.
Article Source: The 8 Most Common Threats to Computer Security
Expert Michael Maxstead maintains several websites about VPN and Security technologies. By visiting his website VPNreviewz.com you can learn about astril and personal vpn.